Friday, December 5, 2008

Wishlists

It's that time of year again. Time to be greedy that is!

Ever since I've gone off to college I've had problems with Christmas presents. It simply isn't feasible to take them all onto a plane with me, but I'm still can't say "one month rent" when people ask me what I want. So, I've looked around a bit for ideas of things that I might acutally use, and come up with a very small list.

> First, I've been eyeing Alphasmarts for a while now. They're kind of expensive if ordered fresh from the company, but there are always a ton up for sale on e-bay, and I am all for hand-me-downs when you save 70 bucks in the deal.

> Second, I've been curious about handheld e-readers for a while now. I don't want to ask for one because I really do not want to end up with a model that doesn't work for me and then not know what to do. It's something I'd rather shop for myself. That, and they are prohibitively expensive. $350 for a Cybook, my probable first choice, and even more for the less appealing Kindle. Until I can write notes in them, put my name on the covers and pick up random discarded ones from the side of the street, I don't think I'll be converting.

> Third, I really do need nothing more than money to feed myself and put a roof over my head.

> That said, a nice christmas gift would be for family to donate to put a roof over someone elses head in my name. I always thought that a donation was a nice gift, and since I can't think of much for myself, now is a good Christmas to add this to the list. A publishing blog I read noted that her local animal shelter was very short on funds and volunteers. A ten dollar donation to these guys would be the ultimate 'thought that counts' gift.

I would add straight As and a fairy to finish my papers for me to this list but I'm trying to be realistic.

No comments: