Sunday, May 8, 2011

Furry Scurry

I am so sore today. Yesterday was spent doing manual labor, starting from 5AM when I helped set up for the Dumb Friends League's Furry Scurry, and I hung around the event until 11, where I helped take everything down until 1:30 PM.

It was a little chilly in the morning, but nothing oppressive, and once work started we warmed right up. The beginning was a little bit awkward, as I was grouped up with 8 sorority girls doing projects that required an even number of people, so I felt like the fifth wheel for the first half hour or so. But once I started helping out where I could either do something by myself or the other volunteers acknowledged my presence things picked up.

Once setup was done I had 3 hours to myself before I had to report for take down, so I got myself lost in the park and explored the neighborhood. There are some very nice houses in the Washington Park area, some of which might be considered mansions, and a number of them were open to visitors for a special open house event. I wanted to check them out after the Scurry, but by the time take down was over I was exhausted, sore, and my knee was acting up. So I ended up taking a shower and falling asleep instead. Can't say I regret that decision, though next year I'm going to pick either setup or take down and use the spare time to see me some houses.

No comments: