Sunday, November 9, 2008

Post the Second.

10 PM on a Sunday night. I have just written the words I need to stay on track for this years NaNoWriMo. The topic: a travelogue of Attunia, a world that has been in my head since middle school and comes out small spurts onto various media. This year that medium is NaNo.

Last year it was supposed to be NaNo too, and the year before that, and the year before that. I failed for two of those years, and for the third I changed direction entirely midway into the month and ended up writing something like 40k in the last three days. I do not reccommend that method (Though it did produce some of my better writing.)

What has been coming out this year is rubbish. It's not interesting enough to keep -my- attention, so I don't predict anyone else will ever see it, much less bother to read past the 'introduction'. The plan is that the novel will be utter crap, but there will be segments worth culling for later projects. That's often how my work with Attunia goes. Write pages of filth and pull out a few diamonds forged from the sheer density of the BS that I have packed in.

A guildmate is also attempting NaNoWriMo. She sent me a few excerpts as she started, and it seems she has some good direction. No doubt she will win and have something to show for it, while I will win and wonder if it was worth the effort.

No comments: