Saturday, October 23, 2010

Fun Weekend


Huge congratulations to The Private Library for reaching post 500. There was a time when it was likely that the blog would become a static resource, but public outcry provided the impetus to keep things going. not only was the author, L. D. Mitchell, kind enough to post one of my own articles there, but he enhanced it with dozens of links to extra resources that I didn't even know existed. As one of the blogs that really cemented my decision to go into LIS and work with rare books, The Private Library will always have a special place in my heart.

And now for more fun links to break up the long, rambling posts about my hectic days:

In an extreme example of the maxim, "If you want it done right you have to do it yourself," Calum MacLeod built himself a road that was so successful the government appropriated it later.

An awesome Gallery of pictures with a woman shooting a bullseye almost every year for 70 some years. The other galleries in the parent site are fun to look through too.


===


I've been busy for the last few days. Yesterday was the beginning of MileHiCon, where I volunteered by helping set up the art gallery (don't know why that's so fun) and timing a few panels for the presenters. The highlight for me was Donato Giancola, who did a talk on the classical influences of his art, and had a painting up for auction valued at 7k dollars depicting George about to do battle with the Dragon. Giancola is still an oil on canvas guy, and his work in person is exquisite. I only wish that one day I'll be able to have a nice sketch from someone as skilled as he is, but until then I can stare at the art in the galleries.

Today was Zombie Crawl Day. I went with a bunch of library science students, and although I didn't have the time to zombify, I lifted some fake blood off someone else and had some nice bloody smears across my face. Here are some highlights:



Oh God they're breeding!

No comments: