Friday, August 13, 2010

First, in gaming news, and interesting post from Neuroskeptic. Some Korean scientists are trying to develop a drug from video game addiction. Their subjects are cited as being so hopelessly addicted that they play at least "4 hours a day". Four hours! If that's addiction I'm in huge trouble. Of course the article goes on to say that these subjects have dropped out of school or lost wives due to their play habits, so I suppose I'm safe yet. Plus, I don't play Starcraft.

These last few days have been extremely active (not quite productive) to my pleasant surprise. I finished three more job applications yesterday and have signed up to contribute to a F/SF review site on the side. While there's no payment involved, there are galley copies to be had and my name in the byline for future references. My last published article is something like five years old now, so I figure it's about time that I added a few more writing credits to my name.

I also did some vague checking into freelance work. Online freelance is a domain so choked with land mines I don't think it's worth the effort, and many of the big freelance sites looking for writers are either looking for people to write student papers for them, or want 5 articles a day on random subjects for the sole purpose of boosting Google traffic. I can feel the suction of hell on my fingertips when I browse through stuff like that. And yet, I almost want to try. Would I be able to write 500 page articles in less than 15 minutes 5 times a day about random crap? (That's the speed I'd need to keep up to get get at -most- 8 bucks an hour) I don't know if my BS powers are -that- strong.

No comments: