Monday, August 16, 2010

YESSSSSSS

Every day since my application has been complete I have looked at the status page on the DU site. It's an informative little page, with a two column table noting each element of the application and its status, including acceptance. Every day I've seen the acceptance field set as 'pending', sighed heavily, and moved on (until 2 hours later when I had to check again real quick).

Today, like every day before it, I check the status page and saw 'pending'. I let out some steam with a grumble, and prepared to do something else, but first I scrolled down to the very bottom of the page.

There were two buttons down there that I hadn't noticed before, marked "Accept offer of admission" and "Decline offer of admission" respectively.

So I hit Accept.

So now I guess I'm accepted. Great news just two days before I'm scheduled to set out for Denver. I promptly told everyone I knew the news, and now my optimism meter is a full.

This means that the 10+ applications to work that I submitted are probably useless, but ah well. I had broken down and submitted an application to a winter internship in LA too, just in case I didn't get in, but now that's no longer an option.

===

My brief foray into 'freelance writing' died in utero, which I do not regret at all, and after deciding that if I hated BSing for a grade I would hate BSing for money, I fell into an opportunity to write for real, albeit for free, when a request for reviewers was put out by the proprietor of a Spec. fiction review site. I had the itch to write, and my article writing skills -were- rusty, so I applied, and now it seems I will be reviewing for Tangent Online. The guy who runs it seems like a chill dude, and I'm going to enjoy the opportunity to read new stories and gain a little experience as I do so. Who knows, I may just find a doorway to something even better here.

===

I got a guest pass for SCII so that I could play some vs. with friends, and after the lan ended checked out the campaign. As annoyed as I am about Blizz's marketing direction, I have to admit that I like the campaign a LOT. I also am reminded at each mission how much I suck at SC. I tunnel vision too much and cannot run a base and a group of units at the same time. Period.

Unfortunately, you can't play single player without being connected to bnet, and bnet was down, so I got denied play time. The movement gaming companies are making to require that people are always online, even when they are playing a game that should have not problem running offline, really irks me. I don't think I'll be buying SCII with the way it's set up. I'll probably just play on someone else's account whenever the urge hits.

If Diablo requires 24/7 online access I am going to be PISSED.

No comments: