Saturday, June 18, 2011

Wild Archival - Day 13

I can't believe it's already been two weeks! Things are going by fast, but work wise the pace has settled into a comfortable tedium. I'm doing folder level inventories at the moment, which means pulling out every folder in the building, taking a quick look at what's in them, and recording the contents with a description that will help people find things, but won't overwhelm with too much information. I missjudged the time this would take by a number of days, but that's why I developed an open schedule.

The great thing about getting down to folder level is that you end up in contact with pretty much every item in the collection. As a result there have been some great finds. I'm holding off on scans until I get posting permission, but I'm going to show off a few of the cooler artifacts that have shown up at the bottom of a drawer or hiding behind paper.

There was a set of four of these. They're old Kodak negative books. The front is a slide index for easy cataloging and retrieval, and the slides are kept in transparent paper to allow for ease of viewing without one needing to remove the negatives from their places, or so the little description on the inside cover crowed. The negatives were the size of the paper you see here, huge.

I'm not sure what this pipe is about, and neither was the archivist I talked to yesterday. She suspects that it may be a family heirloom from Norway. The head can be removed and the whole thing is a little longer than my arm. This photo is crap so I may try for another one later.

This is a galley for one of the many books published by the Muries. I had never seen anything printed in this sort of format.

My photography skills here are pretty bad, but they give you the gist of what I've been turning up. Of course most of the material I'm working with are not artifacts like these but simple paper materials. The majority are letters, speeches, or articles.

There were some really nice days this week so I took advantage of one to walk the "around the world" trail here at the ranch. It's a three mile or so circular trail that begins and ends at the back of our property and runs through some pristine little areas. You lose sight of anything resembling civilization a few turns in, and the trail is only minimally upkept. Sometimes you can see a wear in the ground, sometimes dead wood has been arranged as a sort of curb, and sometimes the only thing indicating the right direction is a little orange tag hanging from a branch. I managed to wander off the trail twice, but the area is safely hedged in by road and water, so I was unconcerned and managed to find my way back easily.

I didn't see many animals during my walk. A chimpmonk and I had ourselves a staring contest, and I certainly found evidence of animal life, mostly in the form of big piles of elk and moose poop, (and some poop that looked a lot more carnivorous, which kept me on my toes.) I don't know if these guys poop so much that there will naturally be a ton landing smack in the middle of the trail, or if they're planting land mines on purpose, but I ended up stepping into one at least once. Luckily it's all dry. Ahem. Sorry for the TMI.

Another ubiquitous sign of animal life was in the ground squirrel tunnels that spread out like veins in the soil. When I got here spring was just grabbing hold and there wasn't must going on on the ground, but now everywhere you go there are holes and little mounds indicating tunnels. On the ranch there's one tunnel that's nothing more than an entrance on the side of the path and an exit on the other side two feet away. You'd think at that distance the little critters would just decide to run it.

While I didn't get a peek at many mammals, I did see a ton of birds, including a predator of some sort. It was probably a little under two feet tall and was perched at the very top of a pine, screeching.

Spring is taking it's damn time getting here, and even now the flowers are only just begging to bloom with any seriousness.


The path was still relatively brown, although at some parts the grass had taken over so much you couldn't see the wood placed down as guides. There were some beautiful little openings in the trees where the Tetons stood as backdrop for a beautiful little creek. The trees themselves were a little less impressive. Some sort of moss seems to be eating up the entire evergreen population, so there's a ton of fallen wood, and the threes that are standing are sort of naked from the bottom up for a good number of feet.

At one point in the path the little branch guide turned left into a marshy area. The path literally disappears into still water that's covered in slime, and the only way through is to walk across this fallen tree. At first I thought I had taken a wrong turn, but the little orange trail marker was hanging over the water like it was no big thing, so I pushed forward. The tree was rotten and barely as wide as my foot so I had to make my way sideways, and the branches that touched the water, along with the land all around the side of the submerged area, was covered in this thick white stuff. When I looked closer it looked like spiderwebs of some sort. So as I'm walking along this log I have the image of an infinite number of water spiders sleeping under the surface, just waiting for me to trip and stick my foot in.

The best part was that this dead tree did not even have the courtesy to be long enough to reach the other end. So once I got to the tip I had to make a leap onto a far bank, and then push through some dense forest before coming out where I was supposed to.

It was worth it though. At the other end was a clearing covered in blooming larkspur. Quite the colorful little reward. And the ranch turned out to be only a few feet away.

I didn't take my camera on my walk as I preferred to just soak things in without thinking about shooting, but when I go again I'll take a few pictures as illustration.

Speaking of pictures, we had a group in this week that spent the last three days getting up at 4AM to shoot in the park, coming  back for lunch, and then leaving at 5 to do it all over again. It one of the many programs the Murie center has, and was led by a professional photographer local to the area.

Turns out when events happen we employees get to enjoy some major perks. We were allowed to go out on the shoot, which I didn't take advantage of because I value my sleep too much, but we also got to eat with the group. This didn't just mean I got to munch on free pizza. They bring in a professional gourmet chef (and awesome guy) who makes delicious food and saves leftovers for the employees. I have been eating like royalty for the last few days, let me tell you. Pumpkin pancakes with orange icing, some of the most tender pork I've ever placed on my tongue, and yesterday night was this:

Buffalo meatloaf stuffed with mozzarella, some sort of green, and pepper. It was soo good. Desert was a lemon cake and chocolate mousse made with kailua creme, and topped with strawberries and whipped cream. There are leftovers in the fridge so I am set for days.

I really should update more, considering how much is going on and all that I'm leaving out for the sake of brevity, but I suppose that's enough for now. I'm going to grab some meat loaf and chill for the night.

No comments: