Sunday, June 26, 2011

Wild Archival - Day 24

Last week was the first in which I seriously felt like an Archivist. I just finished the bulk of my folder level inventory, which is basically a list of folders that researchers used to get a beat on what is available in the collection and narrow their search. I wasn't sure if it was any good, because even though I had done my research  a general lack of experience meant that I was asking myself questions constantly. Was I prioritizing the right projects? Was I doing work that's usefulness was appropriate for the time spent on it? Were the results going to be understandable to anyone but me? The folks at the center had been very supportive and enthusiastic about my work, but they weren't really overseeing it.

I ended up reprocessing a large portion of a collection as well. It had been put into our system in more detail than any other part of the archives, but all the material was then thrown into a box and finding any of it was impossible. So I ended up spending a day refoldering things and fixing little errors that cropped up along the way. The whole time I was thinking, am I getting distracted from the more important business at hand? Processing is very time consuming, and there was still a lot of other stuff to be done.

Well, on Friday I had my first researcher come in. He was a nice guy, looking for information on the Muries' collaboration with other scientists in their field. I gave him a quick explanation about the organization of material, suggested a few places for him to start, and printed out my guide while warning him he was the first person to see it. I was sort of steeling myself for harsh criticism. This guy had been to a number of other archives looking for relevant material, including large university archives, so he was obviously familiar with how these things worked. I was half expecting him to go through the guide, look up, and ask, "how is this supposed to help?"

Instead he praised it (maybe cause he really was a nice guy) and then managed to use it to hone in on a pile of material that was rel event to him, which he spent the rest of the day on. The awesome part was the files he ended up pulling were the ones I had refoldered a few days ago because they were in disarray and I couldn't properly record their arrangement until it was fixed.

So my decisions were vindicated and my material was useful. At that moment I stopped feeling like a student pidling around with stuff and started feeling like someone with a little real control and authority. It's a nice feeling, let me tell you.

In non-archival news, a robin has decided the the little overhang under the Homestead porch is a great place to raise a family. This means that she has built her nest about a foot over the heads of anyone who goes into the building through front door and isn't aware that they are coming until they duck under the porch. When I saw the empty next my first thought was that I was going to be dive bombed constantly. I was correct. Three times now I have gone to make lunch or what have you and a robin has dived at me in a flurry of indignant tweeting. I figured after the first time she would realize that she had made a mistake in her planning and move the nest, but no luck. I am now going around to the side door so I'm not responsible for an avian heart attack.

Today I forgot about her and opened the front door to leave. The robin was in her nest and I saw her before pushing in the screen door. We stared at each other. She did not look amused, so I backtracked and went out the side. The neat part is you can easily spy on the nest from inside the cabin. The annoying part is getting attacked while you are lurching to the kitchen for breakfast is not the most relaxing way to start the day.

No comments: