Saturday, June 11, 2011

Wild Archival - Day 6

Look who showed up to the ranch a few days ago!
I was sitting down to have some lunch when out of the window I see this cow moose who has decided to do the same thing. She was munching on greens on the ranch right next to the path I take to go between cabins, so I decided to let my soup go cold and grab my camera.

We're literally inside the national park, with no barriers restricting access by wildlife, so anything can walk right up to our cabins, and they often do. There was a cabin just to the right of where I took this picture, which was my go to shelter if Miss Moose decided I was being annoying. As it was, she just looked at me in that, "I really don't want to run but if you move I will," way that beasts of prey do, I took a few pictures, and then snuck back to my soup. By the time I had finished she had disappeared.

As far as moose are concerned I guess she was pretty small. Maybe a few hands shorter than a horse. She still looked big enough to beat me up though, so I kept a respectful distance.

Whatever it is that is living in the roof of the archive building doesn't seem to like my taste in music, because every once in a while I'll have a song on and he will start chattering incessantly until I turn it off. Everyone's a critic.

I've settled into the archives as much as I can really. It's hard getting my bearings in there, because I don't have all that much experience with management (read: none) and there isn't any documentation on how things were done before. So I've kind of been playing detective, looking for clues about what was happening before I came onto the scene. This isn't easy when all you've got are some scribbled notes and a few files on old projects to work around. Plus, I get to play with this program called Past Perfect, which is enough of a topic for its own post later.

The most exciting part about this week is hands down the flooding warnings. One of the first things that happened when I came up here was a notification by the national park service that they had moved all of their archival material to a secure location on higher ground in anticipation of flooding, and that we should consider doing this too. So I got a little crash course in disaster preparedness, calling people and getting them to agree to house material if need be, trying to figure out what would need to go and where it was, and realizing that we had no means of getting most of this stuff out of the building if flooding did happen. Most people at the ranch are not very concerned, so I'm taking my queues from them, but it would be really nice to have some boxes available. That's first order of business next week, assuming the icepack waits until I get boxes delivered before it decides to melt all over us.

This is our adversary right now, the Snake river. It's been raining on and off all week, and as you can see the water is already high and a little angry. If the snow on the mountaintops melt suddenly, we are going to have a pleasant little flood. So far so good. I'm am crossing my fingers so hard that it stays that way.

Today was the start of my first weekend up here, so I took advantage of that to take a trot down to the river by way of a small hiking path. The path is wonderful. You still have a view of the road through the treeline, but cars go down that particular path so rarely you might as well be deep in the wilderness. Wilderness up here in WY is much different than the forests I'm used to. The land is a little rocky, and peppered with shrubs and clusters of flowering plants. The trees here are a good mix of pine and birch and others that I'm not familiar with, and are not particularly dense, so you can see quite a ways through them. The path itself is nothing more than a little land worn down between the shrubbery, but it's well kept. A few fallen trees have gotten themselves hacked in half for committing the crime of impeding foot traffic.

Just past the river you can step off onto another foot path that goes through an open plain and spits you out a couple hundred feet at a small retail cluster. I had myself a delicious lunch of pulled pork sandwich, onion soup (NO CHEESE! I was a little put out by that.) and hot cocoa (which made up for the cheese issue.)
I would say the view from Dornan's is great, but the view from everywhere is great. It's particularly nice here, because you climb up to get to the area, and get to enjoy the mountain range free of interference from the treetops. At some point I might have the myriad peaks memorized, but at the moment the only peak familiar to me is Grand Teton, and then only from the ranch. I know some people can point out each individual peak like the faces of old friends, but they still all look the same to me. Well, I've got a month.

1 comment:

Dave H. said...

Awesome post; a really interesting read.